As for lunch, there was an executive decision made to alternate bento and non-bento lunches, depending on the food and mood, as I had some recipes to try out that may lend themselves to bento at a future date. Today, however, we decided to use my pretty sushi plates, because we can. (They are dishwasher safe which makes them amazing.)
Asian Chicken Salad
2 cans, canned chicken, or 1 large chicken breast (I cook mine in the mini-crockpot)
2-3 green onions, finely chopped
1/4 cup mayonnaise
1/4 cup toasted sesame salad dressing
1/4 cup toasted almonds
1 Tbsp sesame seeds
- Drain the chicken and place in batches in a mini-chopper to finely dice, set aside.
- Place toasted almonds in the mini-chopper and run till roughly chopped.
- Combine almonds, chicken, green onion and sesame seeds till mixed well.
- Add mayonnaise and salad dressing and stir till blended.
- Refrigerate immediately.
My favorite base corn muffin recipe:
1 c flour
1 c cornmeal
3 tblsp. sugar
1/4 tsp. salt
1 1/4 tsp. chili powder
1 c milk
1 stick melted butter or margarine
1 large egg
PLUS 1/2 Tbsp yellow curry powder
- Preheat oven to 400, spray muffin cups thoroughly with baking spray.
- Whisk all the dry ingredients together in a large bowl.
- In another bowl, whisk the milk, butter and egg together.
- Pour the wet ingredients over the dry ones and gently stir until the batter is evenly moistened.
- Bake for about 25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out dry.
- Cool for about 15 minutes before serving.
We served ours on sushi plates with a few simple fruits and vegetables to round out the meal!