When we got the chance to check out the selection of Hillshire Brands products at Safeway, we discovered that, besides the standard Hillshire Farms labeled sausage links and smoked sausages, they also make Jimmy Dean breakfast sausages and Ballpark Franks. I knew then that Ben would be thrilled to have his very own sausage gravy and biscuits at our house for breakfast.
Why were we at Safeway? We were checking out their new Just for U online coupon center. Rather than clipping coupons (which I manage to promptly lose until after the expiry date), you can load the coupons onto your Safeway card, so they are available at checkout! Right now, they're offering coupons for Hillshire Brands (including the Jimmy Dean sausage we used).
Just click on the coupon to set up your Safeway Just For U account
and find your coupons for Hillshire Brands products
Now after you download your coupon and buy your sausage, there is one more important part. How do you make sausage gravy? Check out the recipe below for Ben's favorite version
- 1 roll Jimmy Dean Regular Pork Sausage
- 3 cups milk
- 1/3 cup flour
- pinch of salt
- pinch of pepper
Yes, I'm cheating and using premade biscuits!
- Cook the sausage in a large skillet until brown, crumbling it as you go. Do NOT drain the pan.
- Sprinkle 1/3 cup of flour over the sausage and stir it to absorb the remaining liquid.
- Add 3 cups milk, plus salt & pepper and heat thoroughly over medium heat.
- Stir until the milk begins to thicken into a gravy, then lower the heat till desired thickness is reached.
- Serve over hot biscuits (homemade or pop & bake).
While you're here, check out some other great ideas using Hillshire Brands products:
- Smoked Sausage, Eggs & Potatoes
- Sausage & Apple Stuffed Pork Chops
- Pesto Alfredo Tortellini with Smoked Sausage
- Smoked Sausage & Peppers
- Kielbasa with Apples, Potatoes & Peppers
- Chicken & Sausage Skillet with Veggies
- Spicy Smoked Sausage Wraps
- Crustless Sausage & Zucchini Quiche